header image

EM Wash

This is one of my favorite aspects of Mary Wash, this bench. Littered throughout campus are little hidden trinkets like benches, or the better known colloseum. I however love the benches, as they require a climb and a keen eye to find. Then from there one can relax and look back onto campus and reflect. But I digress from my favorite spot, from where the photo has been taken from.

The focus is on the bridge. Mary Washington has a very interesting interaction with water. This campus has several streams flow through it, as well as it’s geographic contours have major impact on the rest of the immediate Fredericksburg area, leading to the Rappahannock river. Construction is another major factor to the interaction of campus and water.

There is a close and deep connection between the environment, primarily fluvial.

~ by Shaheen on January 25, 2011.

Class

3 Responses to “EM Wash”

1. I agree that this is a great little hidden site. UMW has a great history, which includes the land. I’ve been reading University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History by former Professor William B. Crowley Jr. and it’s lovely to learn the history of my college!

Also, “fluvial”? BEST VOCAB WORD EVER.

2. […] Shaheen’s Superfluous Blog — Shaheen writes about a favorite (but hidden) site on UMW’s campus:  “EM Wash“. […]

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lee el'Zebub, Lee el'Zebub. Lee el'Zebub said: http://bit.ly/hakilY @jimgroom […]